Wednesday 27 July 2011

Thing 6 - online networks

I'm still quite new to the idea of networking as it is something I don't really feel that comfortable doing.  However, online networking seems to be a great way to introduce yourself to it in a (relatively) pain free way.


LinkedIn
I've had a look at LinkedIn, and it is definitely something I plan on joining, although I haven't got round to doing so yet.  I think it might well take me a while to fill in my profile.  I haven't been good at keeping my CV up to date, and it's been quite a long time since I last had to fill in a job application, so putting together a decent profile will need more thought than I have time for right now.  But it is something I plan to work on before the end of summer.


Facebook
I've been on Facebook for a number of years now.  I only joined because so many of my friends were on it and it seemed such a convenient way to stay in touch with the ones that lived far away.  I don't go on it that much, and to be honest I really don't think I like the idea of using it for work purposes.  I would much rather keep my professional and personal life separate.


LISNPN
I joined the LIS New Professionals network about a year ago (I think) and so far have found it really useful.  In fact it was through LISNPN that I first heard about CPD23 and decided to take part.  I also went to the first face-to-face networking event I'd been to in ages through LISNPN when I attended the Bristol meet-up back in June.  It's been great seeing how many more people have been joining it as a result of doing the CPD23.

No comments:

Post a Comment