Instead I chose to type a list of all the references I wanted to consult in a Word document, then bit by bit I worked my way through it, added new ones when they cropped up and making notes next to them once they’d been consulted. Once I’d decided to use a reference in my dissertation I moved it across into a new Word document, were it was slotted in alphabetically to the list that later became my bibliography.
So although I’m not doing any research at the moment, I still was interested to check out what I’d been missing, particularly as they might be useful to recommend to our library users.
I only had time to play about with one of the tools, as I’m falling a little behind on the things, so I picked Mendeley. This was mainly because, ages ago one of the curators enquired about using it, so the name stuck in my mind.
Image from http://www.mendeley.com/
I wasn’t able to download it to my work PC, so I used my laptop instead. At first glance it looks very straightforward, and although I've only had a little play about with it so far, it does seem pretty user-friendly.